Friday, August 22, 2014

Peter Bernardini

Peter, Aunt Sylvia and Ethan
My cousin Peter and his partner, Ethan were driving from Chicago to Portland.  Peter had a big job interview lined up and they were excited to start a new life together.  On August 14th, they were passing through Wyoming on I-80 and were rear ended by a semi truck.  Peter suffered a traumatic brain injury and was taken to Casper, WY and put on life support.  After realizing the doctors couldn't salvage his brain injuries, he was taken off life support on August 20th and passed away peacefully surrounded by family.  His organs were donated and he was able to save so many lives. We hold onto that for comfort.  Ethan was life flighted to Colorado and was in critical condition, paralyzed on his right side but is now back home at a hospital in Chicago and expected to make a full recovery, over time.  
Thankfully, my parents were driving out to Utah to come visit me and drop off my new car, so they weren't far behind Peter and Ethan.  Once they heard the news, they were able to turn around and go see Peter and be there for my Aunt and Uncle who were trying to find the quickest flight out of Chicago.  That was really important for my parents to be there with them and say their goodbyes to Peter.     
Ethan, Peter and his sister, Gin
Peter was an amazing individual.  He was full of love and kindness and family was always his first priority.  I remember Antony and I always begging him to sing for us when he would visit.  He had an amazing voice and had performed in multiple shows.  Peter was very intelligent and confident.  I admired him for that.  He chased after his dreams, always had a smile on his face and was always up for a good conversation.  He would genuinely listen to you and give you his honest opinion/thoughts on things.  Peter didn't care what anyone thought of him and truly loved life.  My heart aches knowing he is no longer here with us.  I will miss him so much but I am truly thankful for all the years we had with him here on earth.  I love him so much and will sure miss his smile.            
This was Peters last blog post.  He was such a talented writer.  I am glad that he kept a blog where he wrote his deepest thoughts, stories and drawings.  It is something we can hold close to our hearts.  
"I have a recurring dream in which my family is together once more in my Grandparents house where we would gather on Friday nights, the adults in the kitchen while the children played in the living room and watched television. In my dreams it is always the same, everyone gathering, there is always laughter, joy and a warm fuzzy feeling for we are all safe and secure. Over the years we have all grown up and those we once depended on to keep us together are gone, we are still learning how to talk to one another without my grandparents as they were the hub of our families’ communication, but the times when we gather once more are always special. 
Memories of yesterday are rekindled as we laugh once more next to those we have known since before we could speak. Their voices and faces engrained in our hearts and minds for eternity. This is what family means to me, beloved ones who have always been there with wisdom, hope, and undying love. I carry this all with me and live each day with joy in my heart, a dance in my step and a song on my lips. 
For you see I feel it is my responsibility to live my life not only for me, but for those who are no longer physically present. I am here another day to witness a sunrise, dance ‘til my feet hurt, eat ice-cream too fast and get brain freeze, spit in the Grand Canyon, to unexpectedly fart in public and laugh, to make mistakes (to make amends for said mistakes), to feel joy, fear, to trip over my own feet, to admit when I am wrong, to speak out against injustice, and to bask in the unwavering love of a family who will always be there for one another in times of happiness or times of strife, because that is what our parents, grandparents and great grandparents taught us. Never forget. "
 Love,
-PeterJose

No comments:

Post a Comment