Brooklyn has probably been my favorite event so far. We had two whole days to sight see New York before race day. I have only ever been to Palmyra when we went on a youth trip there once. So, I was excited to see the city. One thing I realized right away is how dirty it is. New
York makes Chicago look spotless. We had to take the subway everywhere. Most of the time it smelled and they were so dirty and a little sketchy. I would not like taking those everywhere I went. There were a couple times while riding the subway where random guys would come on and do a dance on the poles and try and get us to dance with them. Some offered us gifts, food and some would sit there and have a conversation with themselves. You saw all sorts of people on those rides! We went to ground zero and got to see the museum they had just opened up on May. It was amazing, and truly is sacred ground. They have made a beautiful memorial and I learned so much going there. I think everyone should take the time to go there and learn the stories and truly try to understand and comprehend all that happened that day. It took me a over 2 hours to get through the museum, it was so detailed and full of information I had no idea even happened.



 |
| This is the new tower they built next to ground zero in remembrance of the World Trade Centers |
We stopped by Time Square. Not as cool as I thought it would be.....it is just like any city but has huge screens plastered half way up the buildings. And super congested with people. It was cool though to see the ball that we watch drop on TV every new year. Random fact: I didn't know that the ball slowly goes up through out the year. So, it was about halfway up at this point.
 |
| Took a little visit to Grand Central Staiton |
 |
| We rented bikes and rode around the city to Central Park! That was so fun.....but dangerous. |
There were a lot of cool things to stop and watch while you walked around....
 |
| Plenty of people playing instruments |
 |
| A guy teaching people how to box |
 |
| And random animals roaming the streets that you could hold and even buy |
 |
| Miss Lady Liberty is not as big as I thought she was! I really wanted to take the boat to the island and visit the museum but we didn't have time. Random fact: The Statue of Liberty use to be a copper color and over time she has turned the shade of green she is now. |
 |
| Coney Island. We stopped at a place called Nathans which had the BEST Chili dogs. |
Somehow we all ended up doing this:
It was awesome.
 |
| This was a dock that they made the the Titanic, but we all know it never showed up. Since then, it has just sat there, abandoned. |
 |
| While strolling through the streets, we came upon this. I guess we came at the perfect time, all these surrounding streets will be closed to film the new batman movie. |
 |
| This is the Manhatten Temple. I love how this Temple is right in the middle of the loud bustling city but yet the moment you enter the doors it is so peaceful and is silent. half of it is also the church building for that area. We were able to go to that on Sunday before we flew back home. I even ran into a girl I had classes with at Utah State. |
 |
| There is this restaurant called Max Brenners. Go there. You will not be disappointed. That is a picture of their hot chocolate.....just think if taking a Hershey bar and melting it. That's how sweet and delicious it was. |
 |
The race was a success! It was a little stressful because we did packet pick-up on the same day as the race, had some issues with the venue, but it all worked out because we are fricken awesome at our job.
Now onto Tennessee! |
No comments:
Post a Comment