Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Families Are Forever.


L to R:  Camille, Uncle Bernie, Sloane (sitting), Aunt Jenny and Bentley
Late Thursday night around 11:30, my cousin Sloane, was killed in a car accident.  She was 16 and driving home from youth conference (basically a church camp)  She was driving her parents car and failed to stop at the stop sign, colliding with a truck with a trailer carrying horses, killing herself and two other girls, Elizabeth and Rebeca Cole ( 16 and 17) instantly.  There was a boy in the passenger side who survived and was air lifted to the hospital in Boise and is still in critical condition.  We are not trying to make up excuses for what happened, but after talking to investigators it was obvious it was a terrible accident and that Sloane was not texting or using her phone.  She just failed to see the stop sign.  The intersection has had many fatal accidents in the past due to people missing that stop sign.  Sloane had never driven on that road before.  It was late at night and the stop sign is almost impossible to see, being right after a hill that is 55 mph that changes to 35 at the sign.  Traffic does not stop coming the other way and their speed limit was 65.  The community has been fighting and is still is fighting to make the sign light up and flash at night and become more visible to drivers at night.  The truck that hit them had a family with two young children in it that were unharmed, which was good news.  We got a call from Uncle Bernie with the heartbreaking news early Friday morning.  Honestly, my heart stopped.  My worst nightmare had come to life.  My whole family flew out to Idaho as soon as we could for the funeral.  Words cannot describe how much my heart aches.  This was just unreal.  There was no way one of my best friends, my cousin with a heart of gold who just dropped me off at the airport in May, could be gone in a blink of an eye.  During this whole thing, the family felt blessed.  Just the week before, Sloane's family from her moms side was up visiting when she left for youth conference.  So, her family was all together and already in town when the police came and brought the terrible news.  The flight for life crew was actually Sloane's uncle who lived next door.  He had no idea it was Sloane.  When he got to the accident  they had already had a sheet covering the car.  He said in a way he was glad he didn't know it was his niece because he wouldn't have been able to leave her and focus on getting the boy to the hospital, saving his life.  I didn't know what to do, or how I felt.  Once we got to Idaho, we all got together as a family and talked about everything.  A thought that kept entering my mind was that it is times like these where I think to myself...."what would I do without the gospel?"  Though this is one of the hardest trials I have had to deal with so far, I rejoice in the fact that I know I will see Sloane again.  We will be able to dance, make homemade rolls, and go running together again.  I have a testimony of the Atonement, the Lord knows and understands the pain and sadness that myself and my family are going through at this time and will go through down the road.  He understands it all, and knows us personally.  That is why we can get through anything and everything if we are willing to turn to the Lord for help and comfort.  I am grateful for all the prayers that have been said for our behalf, they truly get us through the day.  I am also grateful for The Plan of Salvation.  Even though death is a very hard thing to deal with at times, knowing that is is part of Gods plan and that it is not the end, brings great comfort to me.  At the funeral one man said "We live to die, and die to live."  There is life after death, I know Sloane is happy and in a better place.  She was done with her work here on Earth and was needed home for something bigger and better.  I have a testimony of Temple's and the work done in them.  There is no "till death do we part."  A temple marriage is eternal,  we are a family even after death.  Sloane was a great example for me.  She faithfully read her scriptures every night and has a huge scripture journal to prove it.  Her smile was addictive and her personality illuminated any room she walked into.  She was an amazing sister to her two younger sisters, Camille and Bentley.  Sloane loved cheerleading [following in her mothers footsteps ;)] and dominated in track and cross country [following her favorite cousins footsteps :) ].  She loved dancing and 4-H, there was always a joke that if Sloane put on a sad face she would win...it worked almost every time.  During the funeral and the time we were in Idaho, I had many people come up to me and just hug me.  Afterwards, they would say how much I reminded them of Sloane.  I took that as one of the best compliments I could ever receive.  Sloane has inspired me in so many ways.  I love her so much and I am grateful for the time I did have with her while she was here with us.  I found some pictures of some pretty awesome memories that put a smile on my face.....   
Sloane, Me and Camille
We would rotate Easter at our houses.
Sloane, Camille and I on our way to go boating
All of us at Anthony's Baptism
Family tradition to make homemade crepes at every visit.  Sloane and I were in charge of strawberry patrol. 
Bent, Sloane and Camille
Uncle Bernie would lift us in the tractor.  So fun. 
A older family picture that I love
Ant and his partner in crime :) They would always read stories to each other
Sloane and Mom at the Museum in Chicago
My beautiful girl dancing
Most recent picture of all the girls, I believe around Easter. 
Our last picture all together at Thanksgiving
The other day walking with the family.  This is the canal we would always go on every summer we were here. 
Okay, if you want to smile just watch this video.  It was of Sloane, Bently and I about two summers ago, I think.  My favorite part is at the end when you can hear Sloane's voice.  What I would do to have that moment back.....

I love you Sloane, Thank you for always being you.  I know I will see you again, but until then I am missing you always.  
"God places the heaviest burdens on those who can carry it's weight."

5 comments:

  1. katie i am so sorry! this is heart breaking :( i will be up in kenosha for ale's baptism and really want you to come hang out. i will call you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katelyn - this is beautifully written. There is so much love in this family. There are no words to express how tragic this is and how sorry I am. You have amazing pictures and warm loving memories. I hope you and the family with find comfort in these and above all in your faith! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried. Beautiful post in honor of the wonderful cousin. Major prayers for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have an amazing cousin Katelyn. I'm Jen's assistant cheer coach this year and I feel so blessed to have known Sloane and to know members of your family. I'm sure Sloane will watch over you and enjoy every minute of life with you as you continue to grow up. Keep smiling and keep the faith, we'll all get to see her again someday!
    -Makenzie Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a heartbreaking post, but I love how you are so positive and hold onto your faith. I admire what an amazing woman you are! I never met Sloane, but she sounds like she was amazing, as well, and an incredible leader. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family; I know you'll see each other again. :)

    ReplyDelete