Sunday, October 27, 2013

Half Marathon....WHAT?!?!

Yes, it's true. I have successfully ran my first half marathon!!  Never in a million years did I think I would ever run a marathon, let alone a half marathon.  Thanks to Sarah's persuading skills, I signed up for the Halloween half marathon (13.1 miles) with a group of friends.  I am still in shock that I actually did it.  I know a half marathon isn't that much and people do it all the time, but for me it was a big deal.  I went into this race with no training at all and never having run more then 8 consecutive miles at a time.  So,  I was a little nervous.  It turned out to be not so bad.  My legs (mostly knees) didn't really start hurting till mile 10, and then at mile 12 I really started feeling it.  Good thing there was only about a mile left after that.  I feel like after a certain amount of miles you hit a plateau and just kind of cruise for a little bit.  The view was amazing and the weather was PERFECT!! They drove us to the top of Emigration canyon and we ran down the canyon, through Salt Lake, around the University of Utah's campus all the way down to the capitol building.  We had a little adventure on the bus ride up.  The driver got lost and a lady got "bus" sick she threw up.  Yeah, not a very pleasant sight...or smell!   
While waiting for the race to start, the headless horseman paid us a little visit!
It might not look like it, but it was COLD in the beginning and then slowly warmed up.  
We are suppose to be portraying our character here...
Cool story:  So after we all finished we got together and were talking about about the race and how we felt when all of the sudden this guy walks by.  I HAD to ask him if he was from Wisconsin and what he was doing in Salt Lake.  The shirt kind of gave it away.  He is a pretty cool guy.  He is from Madison and has a goal to run a half marathon in every state.  This was his 27th race/state.  It was so cool to talk to him and talk about Kenosha since he has been there a handful of times.  I love meeting new people and making connections!      
What a fun group!! I am so glad I got to share this experience with these people.  Props to Haley and her family for making all the shirts by hand!!   They are one talented family!
I am so happy I bucked up and ran.  I am kind of embarrassed to say this but I think it was a important moment for me.  When I crossed the finish line I couldn't help but shed a few tears.  Before this race, I honestly thought I could never do it.  I truly thought my knees wouldn't make it and it would just be a painful, not-so-fun experience.  It turned out to be the complete opposite.  Yes, it was hard at times, but nothing I couldn't handle.  An overwhelming feeling of gratitude came over me when I crossed the finish line.  I was so proud of myself for pushing my body to its limit to do something I really thought I would never do.  It made me think about how grateful I am to be healthy and strong!  I really have nothing to complain about. My mom was and is my motivation.  When I hit those moments of burning thighs, cramps, achy knees, and thoughts like "what the heck am I doing?!"  My thoughts turned to my mom and everything she has gone through and is still going through.  It reminded me that the "pain" I was experiencing then was only temporary and I needed to ignore it and keep moving forward.  I had two simple goals.  No walking and running it under 2 hours and 15 minutes.  I accomplished both!  Would I do another one? Yes!! Training for it would be a good idea though :)  This race was a lesson to me.  You can truly do anything you put your mind to.  Don't ever doubt your ability.  

No comments:

Post a Comment